Saturday, March 6, 2010

Taxes

I take after my Dad in that taxes are never done early.
But with the day off and the house pretty quiet, this is the day! (The sun is shining and it's a gorgeous day outside - what better to do than taxes)
I was going along swimmingly, using TurboTax online. You plug in the answers, very swift. My Dad would have loved it.
But then I hit my first road block. Dave had jury duty this year. How much did he make? I had to call him at the Junior High Rally. He answered and I got my answer!
Then I realized I really haven't been keeping up with the donations on the online ItsDeductible website. So I've spent hours going over those.
Then I realized, all those workplace giving amounts are not on my W2 forms. Hmmm? I just need to find some of my pay stubs. That should be easy. Right?
Well, I CAN'T FIND A SINGLE ONE. That probably means I put them somewhere safe - together. They're not with past years ones!!!
So here I am writing a blog entry instead. Like, maybe if I distract myself a bit, I'll remember, or they'll come walking over to me....
This is one (of many) times a year that I wish I were more organized.
I know I'm a librarian and people think that means organized. Ha! If only I had a Page to "shelve" my things where they belong. (A page is the person at the library who puts the books back on the shelf where they belong)My first job in Orlando was as a Page!
I just finished reading "The Help" A fictional book about the black maids in the early 1960's who pretty much did everything for the women. Cooking, cleaning, taking care of the kids. Some were treated kindly, others more like a slave was treated years before.
I really liked the book. It gives you a lot to think about.
And I really wish I had someone to pick up after me and everyone in my family. Or a fairy. Or a house Elf like in Harry Potter. I'd be really sweet. I'd even try to be sweet when I can't find my pay stubs.
Well, the closest thing I have to a House Elf - someone who can find things I've lost, is Dave, my husband. He'll be home in a few hours. Maybe he remembers where they are.
Until then...

2 comments:

Natalie said...

I hear they are starting, tongue in cheek, I hope, the Church of Turbo Tax, as so many worship it.

Now, here's a thought: You move to Dubai, the first $80,000 you make are tax-free and you have a full time maid or two who make sure you do nothing and you lie on the sofa all day with a good book or go out cycling with the local cycling teams, and you don't have to do your taxes until August. There.

Friendly Neighborhood Librarian said...

Wow Natalie, Are you going to want to come home after that?

That sounds amazing.