Monday, September 12, 2011

Welcome Home Lynne and Thank you

Lynne Greenwald was to be released today from the Sea Tac Federal Prison at 10:00 am.


We were told to park in the prison parking lot - Visitor's slot - and walk up to the corner where we could gather on public property. I guess they frown on big groups of people hanging outside the prison to meet their friends and family.

I'd decided to bring my guitar since we might be standing around for an hour or more - so I had it and my music book, purse, camera, etc as I began to walk towards the corner. A guard standing in front of the prison asked "Are you with them?" pointing up towards the corner. I said "yes" and he told me I couldn't park in the lot. I told him that's where we were told to park and he said the lot was for official business only. I thought about arguing that this is official business, but being the wimp I am, I just asked where I could park. He motioned towards the road and said out there somewhere.

So I sheepishly walked to my car, loaded it up again and drove towards the corner. Somebody had already parked there, so I thought I'd give that a try - much more convenient really!

I got out and began to gripe to the group about the parking and the guard when I realized Lynne was right there! She had already been released! I was so stunned, I'm sure my mouth dropped open! She gave me a big hug! It was wonderful to see her.

I then found out they let her out about 9:30 am! Nobody was there yet to meet her. They released her with her brown paper bag of materials all by herself. She said she didn't mind at all. It was nice to be outside even on this cloudy morning.

Lynne and all those who are willing to go to jail for peace and justice are my heroes. And it's very easy to put them on a pedestal and make them somehow more than you and me so that it makes it easier to think "I could never do that" "I'm just a woman, a Mom" Lynne is a woman. Lynne is a Mom. And yet, she takes these steps. She's willing to be put in jail - in prison!

I don't know if I'll feel the call to take that risk some day. But Lynne shows me I can.

We prayed for Fr. Steve inside those same walls, the guards and the other prisoners. We sang "Study War no More" and it was lovely.

Added later tonight:
It turns out the nice little gathering on the corner "violated the terms of release" So Lynne had Marshalls come and rearrest her! She is spending the night in a different Federal facility tonight and will hopefully, get released tomorrow.

1 comment:

Natalie said...

Wow, that is amazing. I can't believe they yanked her back to jail when there are so many horrid criminals out there getting away with goodness only knows what because they know bad people and can make a deal. They so need to let her go back to being a concerned and valued citizen. And that's coming from me, who doesn't agree with what she did AT ALL (my husband was on a submarine) though I like what she stands for.