Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Cough, cough, sniffle, sniffle ramblings with a cold

Hi! I took yesterday as a sick day. I'm off today anyway. I've cleared my schedule as best I can and am snuggling in bed with a nice warm laptop or a book depending on my mood.

It's raining really hard. I can hear it. And Misty (the cat) just came in and burrowed under the covers. That means she's scared.

I finished one novel last night - The Camel Club by Baldacci. I read the latest one in the series not realizing it was a series, so now I'm catching up. It was pretty exciting. I've got the next one to start. It's funny reading the beginning of a series when you know who is still alive so it takes away a little bit of the suspense when somebody comes close to being killed.

Rachel just went to an interview for a job at a photo studio. She still hasn't heard back from another interview 2 weeks ago. I haven't convinced her to call them to ask about it yet. But maybe she won't have to if this one hires her.

I have a story I tell my kids about my Dad and me. I'd just graduated from high school and had applied for a job at the Orlando Sentinel. I had my interview and the interviewer said they'd call. Well, they didn't.

My Dad kept telling me to call and I'd say "They said they'd call" Eventually, I gave in and called and would you believe the guy says "We've been trying to call you" (which of course had to be a lie because I was sitting next to the phone waiting for the call - this is the pre-voicemail, answering machines, or cell phone days of 1973)

So of course, I got the job! Would they have ever really called me? Who knows? But I will remember that story forever. (The job was one where we sat in a big room typing classified ads onto computer tape to be fed into the gigantic computer in the next room. The machine we worked on punched holes in the tape - I know what a chad is!!! That's what they called those little pieces that were punched out. I'd save them up and use them to make stuffed animals - I was a little Martha Stewart at that time)

1 comment:

Natalie said...

"The Camel Club" sounded like a cosy murder mystery book...looking at Amazon, not so much, huh? :) Here's to staying in bed with the pouring rain and a good book. Even with a cold, that's darned close to bliss! Enjoy and do get better.